[BBC-Micro] Favoured disassemblers?

Thomas Harte thomasharte at lycos.co.uk
Sun Dec 3 20:56:11 GMT 2006

> From:: "Jon Welch" <jon.welch at ntlworld.com>
> I personally use the one built into my DFS/ADFS Explorer programs.
>
> Very useful to disassemble code in disc images.

I'm sure your disassembler is wonderful, but I'm more interested in ROM images and memory grabs right now, I'm coming from an Electron perspective (which means I'm mostly using tape images) and I'm using a Mac!

However, I'm almost certainly on the verge of implementing my own dynamic disassembler (i.e. one that can be used simultaneously to the emulator to investigate the current state and see how it evolves), and I wonder if you have any tips for things like detecting data segments, etc? It's arguably a little easier when you've got an actual Electron running over the code because you can use the likely coherence between the current state and recent history to make good guesses as to where meaningful code lies but I don't want to rely on that too strongly, as clever dynamic code can really kill that sort of scheme.

Also, if I put together some sort of "UEF as a filing system" DLL, would you be at all likely to incorporate support for UEFs into your Explorer program? It wouldn't be a perfect fit because UEFs can hold data that doesn't necessarily make sense as files to the tape FS and they're theoretically unbounded in term of how much data can be put onto them but I've certainly had to field questions about how to get files on and off UEFs before and this looks like it would be a very neat solution.

-Thomas

Lycos email has 300 Megabytes of free storage... Get it now at mail.lycos.co.uk