[BBC-Micro] Digital Services Digistore Tape Drive

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu Dec 21 08:40:58 GMT 2006

Ian Wolstenholme wrote:

> I am as certain as I can be that it's intended for a Beeb.  The
> 37-pin D-type connector on the back is marked 1MHz bus and
> it's made by Digital Services, who also did a version of Level 2
> Econet.

Correct, it was made specifically for the Beeb/B+/Master 128.

> I wonder if it's supposed to plug into the back of the Winchester
> Disc given that the tape unit only has one 1MHz connector?

Also correct :-)  It's supposed to be the last device on the 1MHz bus.

> I'm wondering who Digital Services were, since they have used
> an actual Acorn board inside this unit, and the overall design
> is practically identical to the Winchester Disc. I can't recall having
> seen actual Acorn gear inside third party products before.  I wonder
> if they were some sort of subdivision of Acorn or spin-off
> company?

No, just an dealer and developer who worked closely with Acorn on a few
things.  Acorn were quite helpful to developers who were serious about
producing hardware or software for the BBC range.  They had staff
(co-ordinated by Sue Wall) whose job it was to liaise with such
developers and provide them with tools, documentation, and access to
other staff where appropriate.