[BBC-Micro] Retro Software site launch

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 19:10:47 GMT 2008

Sprow wrote:
> In article <c9ae1fc80803270716o31615509wc5172c44960011a3 at mail.gmail.com>,
>    samwise <samwise at bagshot-row.org> wrote:
>>> How do I get posts to the forum to come to my email inbox, and how
>>>  do I post to the forum via email?
>> Is web access a real problem for you?  I believe Firefox is freely
>> available for Risc OS and would allow you to post to the forum over
>> the web and
>
> I suspect it's not the web access that's the hard part, it's that if I'm
> interested in say 30 different subjects I'd have to go and log in to all 30
> forums (apologies to any Latin scholars) to see what'd changed.

Also with web forums you're pretty much at the mercy of the site designer as
to the UI presented - and a lot of them are pretty dire (heck, many don't even
handle basic message threading).

Not to mention that, despite it being the dissemination of information that's
most important on any 'discussion' site, most of them seem to be littered with
all sorts of graphical frills (emoticons, avatars, general site 'branding')
that just distract the user from the raw data.

Plus having all the data 'remote', and buried within a pile of HTML, can make
it very hard to carry out any useful local archival of the information. Sure,
web search engines can go some way to providing a useful search service - but
only so long as the website in question is still 'alive'.

> With an email interface it all gets delivered at my door to digest at
> leisure,

Yep. Although personally NNTP works just as well; both mechanisms are more
about transfer of raw information than a web-based interface/protocol is.

cheers

Jules