[BBC-Micro] Master Ethernet upgrade

c.j.thornley at coolrose.fsnet.co.uk c.j.thornley at coolrose.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 09:15:55 BST 2009

> I wanted to carefully avoid an external Econet to Ethernet bridge as I know
> that's something Phil/Mark are working on. This kit is something different
> and I hope non overlapping

Everyone keeps on referring to the Econect-Ethernet device as a bridge but technically it not, it would be called a router as it will have to operate at layer 3? Especially if there IP protocols involved and some form of IOS and a mangement system will have to be writen and appropiate access either via console or a webinterface.

>  Please note: for electrical reasons this upgrade can only be fitted to a
>  Master or Master Compact,
>  Sprow.

Could some for external power connector be fashioned?

Which ethernet chip have you used?

Also I presume you can mount shares to drivres ie 5.$ etc.
Does file name / type conversion happen in software to inf files?
Can the device authenticate and connect to username / password protected shares?

Is there any provison to share devices on the BBC side with the PC. floppy, harddisk, other filesystems etc

Thanks
Chris

.