[BBC-Micro] Disc formats -- DFS/ADFS and the Master Welcome Disc

Philip Pemberton philpem at philpem.me.uk
Thu Jan 21 02:00:26 GMT 2010

Hi guys,
I'm not sure if I've mentioned my disc analyser project here, but
basically it's a "magic box" (plus software) that plugs into a USB port
and makes a transition-timing-level image of a floppy disc, which can
then be decoded, written back, etc.

I've just read in a BBC Micro disc -- specifically the dual 40/80 track
Master Welcome Disc. Oddly enough, track 0, head 0 seems to be utterly
mangled -- DiscTool IDs it as "noise". Tracks 1 and 2 (both heads) seem
to be fine -- they're ID'd as "MFM, modified IBM System 34/ECMA format".
I haven't tried decoding any of the other tracks.

Does anyone know if t00h0 is formatted differently on the Master welcome
disc?

I'm also interested in any information folks might have on the DFS and
ADFS formats (especially the 800K and 1.6MB ADFS "E" formats used on the
Acorn Archimedes/RiscPC systems). I noticed JGH has some info on DFS and
the earlier versions of ADFS, but ADFS-E info seems to be a bit thin on
the ground.... :-/

Thanks,
--
Phil.