[BBC-Micro] Suitable capacitor replacements

paul aslin station240 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 6 01:50:29 BST 2010

> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 16:31:40 +0200
> From: rick at rs432.net
> To: bbc-micro at lists.cloud9.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [BBC-Micro] Suitable capacitor replacements
>
> On 05/10/2010 13:39, Philip Pemberton wrote:
>
> > Expect the EMC performance to be VERY nasty afterwards though -- i.e.
> > don't expect your AM/FM radio to work properly when located near a BBC
> > or Filestore with missing PSU filter caps :)
>
> FM ought to survive. AM? Static Wasteland...
>

> Any idea what sort of thing could cause this sort of behaviour down a
> half-kilometre (to nearest neighbour) or further three-phase line? It
> totally kills mom's Radio4 (pretty much all of the LW/MW/SW bands) and
> it also kills the internet due to induced noise in the long phone line.
>
> Brief video at: http://www.heyrick.co.uk/blog/index.php?diary=20100919
>

> Radio near meter cupboard? Supposed to be practically silent. WTF?!?!?

You've got a real high powered transmitter at work there, unless its a CB radio setup then that means mains power problems.

The part time only transmissions puzzle me, no radio/TV station would do that, the only thought I have is some airports have two sets of beacon transmitters (in different places!), and use the lower powered one at night.

More logical is something is designed to use offpeak power only, something big that is powered from the mains. For example hot water heater, underfloor heating, some sort of industrial process.

What does this farm with the new transformer do ?
Chicken farms have heating and lighting which draws a lot of juice.