[BBC-Micro] [OT] ADSL router fried?

Rick Murray rick at rs432.net
Sun Oct 10 19:32:28 BST 2010

Hi,

Thanks to those who replied. Having a deeper inspection (glasses off,
mag glass, bright LED torch...) shows either side of the glass bubble is
surrounded either side by 0 ohm resistors. The one on the right (looking
from line socket) has a sign of "pffft" by it, as if some of the magic
smoke escaped, but it is still operational.
The one on the left? Destroyed.
You can, actually, see them both in that photo:
   http://www.heyrick.co.uk/blog/images/20100912adsl.jpeg

I have removed the blown resistor and put a solder blob in its place. I
figure that will suffice as it isn't to be my primary router.

Now, both traces of the line input are intact as far as the transformer
(black square thing in the photo). I'm not sure what happens beyond...

Don't get your hopes up just yet. There's a blown capacitor by ethernet
socket #3. My guess is, since this unit is powered from a power brick
with no ground plane, that a surge entered via the phone line. At some
stage inside jumped to the earth rail (either someplace in protection
circuitry... inside the main IC? who knows. The current will be looking
for the easiest route to earth which is not inside the router. With a
bit of luck (given the router is mostly functional) it left most of it
alone. Instead it hit paydirt on the ethernet plug, travelled down the
wire to an earthed metal box. Most likely fried his network card if it
was cheapo. His computer ought to be intact as I would hope the current
would then be dissipated via the backplane to the chassis. But if he's
one of these morons that never bothers to screw the things in place...

Well, that's my theory.

Will this enable life to be coaxed from the ADSL link? Later (tonight?
tomorrow?) I'll jack it into the phone line (conveniently 3&4 wired (not
5&6 as it ought to be!) so I can just whip the lead out of the
Livebox... I'll post an update then.

By the way, for those who replied to the power line interference
problem, I now have video of the horrid noise coming in through the
electrics.... only this time I hit the big switch. It goes a little bit
quieter (as the trip switches and meter etc are now out of circuit) but
it is still plenty noisy. Should be sufficient to prove whatever this
is, it ain't *US*. Mmm too lazy to hook up the OSD right now. When I do,
I'll digitise the video and toss it over to YouTube, then write some
pointless prattle (my speciality!) on the b.log. <grin>

Thanks again to all who provided help and info.

Best wishes,

Rick.