[BBC-Micro] Sideways Ram for BBC B

Rob robert at irrelevant.com
Thu Oct 14 08:42:03 BST 2010

On 14 October 2010 08:03, Matthew Rose <matthewcarlrose at hotmail.com> wrote:
> OK, Great suggestions, Now - How to get roms to be bbc from the PC without
> actually having to write a rom in the first place!

If you don't have a 5.25" drive on the PC, or a 3.5" drive on the
Beeb, or enough machines to run an Econet, then your choice would seem
to be:

- some other modern media, e.g. GoMMC, MMBeeb, a CF card,
Datacentre/USB.  All of these would involve some outlay, but come with
software in ROM - although the MMBeeb is easy to build, you need a
modified FS ROM to use it...

- use a cable.  Xfer, (A)DFS Explorer and I think others all support
serial links,and will generally download the Beeb side software
automatically.  If you have a parallel port, on the PC then it's
65link, which is a full filing system, or a one-way cable that was
discussed recently on the STH forums, but both of these need software
already at the Beeb end.

(For an econet, incidentally, an A5000 makes a great fileserver, takes
a standard Master-type econet module, and can read PC floppies!)