[BBC-Micro] Sideways Ram for BBC B

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Thu Oct 14 09:02:21 BST 2010

"Mark Haysman" <jumbos.bazzar at btopenworld.com> writes:

> 2) Why have the huge AA battery pack for a low power CMOS RAM? I'd
> have put a small coin cell (or rechargable) on the main board.

For a classic machine that's likely to only be used occasionally,
keeping the batteries away from the board reduces the change of damage
if they leak -- provided the user's told to install them somewhere
sensible. Replacing a battery holder's much easier than cleaning battery
crud off a PCB.

I've done an awful lot of the latter with my late-80s machines recently,
whereas the Master AIV I fixed up a couple of years ago, with a separate
battery pack in a sealed bag, was much easier to deal with.

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>