[BBC-Micro] Fw: DD & HD Floppies

Alex Taylor zeem.uk at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 17 11:17:32 BST 2010

On 17 October 2010 09:36, Dave Curran <bbc at pdcurran.co.uk> wrote:

> I know there are likely to be issues
> with the smaller heads used in HD drives when writing DD disks to be read on
> DD drives

All 3.5 floppy drive heads are the same size, as they're all
80-track*. Head size only ever causes an issue when switching between
(5.25") 40 and 80-track disks and drives, as the 40-track head is
twice the size of the 80-track one.

* Something is niggling in the back of my mind that there may have
been some 3.5" 40-track drives in existence, but I'm not quite sure. I
know some early Atari STs used single-sided 80-track ones.

--
Alex Taylor