[BBC-Micro] Fw: DD & HD Floppies

Mike Tomlinson mike at jasper.org.uk
Sun Oct 17 13:54:24 BST 2010

In article <AANLkTi=sb6nLwsSW44tpmBwcgVHoMo59YLXF-xXOh-
c9 at mail.gmail.com>, Dave Curran <bbc at pdcurran.co.uk> writes

>    Silly question, but I'm just taking a step back from this and
>    thinking that instead of adapting HD disks to work in DD drives,
>    what are the chances of getting standard 1.44M HD drives to work on
>    the BBC?

IIRC, it could theoretically be done but timings would be very tight.
The disc controller chip would need to be changed for an HD-capable one,
which precludes using existing DFSes.

>    The ideal would be adapting one of the DFS's to work with 1.44M
>    disks - unless any of them do already? Otherwise some hardware mod
>    to use HD drives and disks as if they were DD drives and disks.
>    Double all the track steps and perhaps even repeat every write on
>    the next track to increase the chances of DD compatibility?

DD and HD both use 80 tracks, so double-stepping wouldn't solve
anything.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)