[BBC-Micro] Fw: DD & HD Floppies

Mark Usher mark at bbcdocs.com
Tue Oct 19 10:10:28 BST 2010

> In article <4CBC1DA0.4060303 at adsb.co.uk>, Andrew Benham
> <adsb at adsb.co.uk> writes
>
> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/30/huawei_threat/
>
> Yeah, I heard about that a couple years ago.  Rather frightening.  How
many
> backdoors are there that we don't know about?
>
> >My vote is for a Great Firewall *around* China.
>
> Seconded!

Not really an issue to be honest. All sensitive traffic is heavily encrypted
before it is transported over an external network such as BT. There are a
lot more things in place than some of these scare mongering stories would
have the general public believe. Whilst the essence of the story's warning
is perfectly valid, and people should be aware of *possible* security flaws,
it is wrong to make assumptions that there are not a myriad of other
technologies also in place and that is the only thing that would need to be
compromised.

Before *any* devices can be used in sensitive scenarios they need to pass
CC. http://www.commoncriteriaportal.org Products are highly tested and
scrutinised and awarded different levels of accreditation. So while a WAN
carrier network may have a risk, do not assume that carries to the networks
that utilise it, or that there are sole dependencies on that carrier as a
single point of failure.

-Mark