[BBC-Micro] Reversing the Tube ULA (destructively)

Christopher Thornley c.j.thornley at coolrose.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 21:31:06 BST 2010

Hello,
The rom will need to be decaped first.

Check these MAME pages out

http://guru.mameworld.info/decap/
http://guru.mameworld.info/

Chris

               />      Christopher J. Thornley is cjt at coolrose.fsnet.co.uk
  (           //------------------------------------------------------,
 (*)OXOXOXOXO(*>=*=O=S=U=0=3=6=*=---------                             >
  (           \\------------------------------------------------------'
               \>       Home Page :-http://www.coolrose.fsnet.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: bbc-micro-bounces+c.j.thornley=coolrose.fsnet.co.uk at lists.cloud9.co.uk
[mailto:bbc-micro-bounces+c.j.thornley=coolrose.fsnet.co.uk at lists.cloud9.co.
uk] On Behalf Of Pete Turnbull
Sent: 28 October 2010 9:21 PM
To: bbc-micro at lists.cloud9.co.uk
Subject: Re: [BBC-Micro] Reversing the Tube ULA (destructively)

Pete Turnbull wrote:

> Nor will battery acid, which is not especially concentrated sulphuric
acid.

Well, for your edification and delight, I tried an experiment a little
earlier this evening.  A small amount of concentrated sulphuric acid on the
top of an IC had no visible effect.  I also tried conc nitric (not the same
as fuming nitric) and conc hydrochloric, and for good measure also a mixture
of nitric and sulphuric (that's what you use to make guncotton and
nitroglycerine) and /aqua regia/ (the 1:3 mixture of conc nitric and
hydrochloric acids that is almost the only acid to dissolve gold).  None of
them made the slightest impression on an IC package at room temperature.
The leads, yes.  The package, no.

Battery acid, btw, is about 30% sulphuric acid in water; commercial grade
conc sulphuric, which is what I used, is about 95%.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager