[BBC-Micro] Reversing the Tube ULA (destructively)

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu Oct 28 22:17:57 BST 2010

J.G.Harston wrote:
> Christopher Thornley wrote:
>> The rom will need to be decaped first.
>
> Why? ROMs can just be read directly. Loads of CoPro ROMs at
> mdfs.net/tube

I wonder if Chris has missed the point of what I was describing and
others have been suggesting solvents for?  He's referring to a process
used for decapping microcontrollers that contain both CPU and mask ROMs
(and which can't be read out electronically), by using fuming nitric
acid and acetone, but perhaps he's meaning that in the context of
exposing the die in the ULA?  As Jonathan points out, we have all the
ROM code.  It's only the ULA layout we need, and hence we've been
discussing (im)possible solvents for decapping.  The MAME pages are
irrelevant.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager