[BBC-Micro] Programatically "reset" a Beeb?

Richard Gellman splodge at starfleet-net.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 13:44:50 BST 2012

Hi,

I'm having trouble with a "reset" process. Hopefully someone
here can point out the Bleeding Obvious(tm) to me.

I've build a board
for my M128 with two ROM sets, the original M128 set and the Model B
OS1.2/Basic2 ROMs. Switching between them is under software control.

Obviously, one do not simply change ROMs. So my procedure is thus:

Disable interrupts (SEI)

Store 0 at ROMSEL (fe30) and ACCCON (fe34)
to enable B-like memory mapping.

Store the bit in the ROM set select
register (1MHz bus)

JMP (&FFFC)

Except, it doesn't quite work. It
changes ROM set sure enough, but the start sequence is interrupted and
scrolls uncontrollably, sometimes with characters on screen.

I tried
blanking the 32K RAM beforehand, setting it all to &FF, and use of
*FX200,3 but none worked. I'm clearly missing a clue on how to reset the
state of the machine so it can start properly.

Any suggestions as to
what I'm missing?

Thanks

-- Richard